There are many things we can be praying for. The items in this post are drawn from some of the Prayer cycles we are involved with.
Pray for those known who suffer in body, mind, spirit or estate.
The Collect for this week
God of constant mercy,
who sent your Son to save us:
remind us of your goodness,
increase your grace within us,
that our thankfulness may grow,
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
From Durham Diocese
Sunday 30th August
12th after Trinity
– Our Bishops – Paul, Sarah, Assistant Bishops: John, Glyn, & David
– All leading worship today
– Leaders in the UK and across the world
Aidan, Bishop of Lindisfarne, Missionary, 651
– Woodhouse Close, Community minister: vacant, Reader: Roger
Gibson, APA: Mrs Jane Armstrong
– Revd Dr Jennifer Cooper, Director of Initial Ministerial Education (IME) Phase 2.
– Retired Clergy and the support they give in ministry in parishes
– Victims and perpetrators of crime
Tuesday 1st September
Giles of Provence, Hermit, c710
– Stanhope Deanery: Area Dean: Revd David Spokes, Lay Chair: Mr Stephen Gardiner
– Senior Force Chaplain Durham Police: Canon Adrian Gatrill
– The NHS, Consultants, Doctors, Nurses, Ancillary Staff, Administrators.
The Martyrs of Papua New Guinea, 1901 and 1942
– Stanhope Deanery Secretary: Miss J Pickering Treasurer: Mr G Waterston
– Diocesan Property Manager James Alderton: & the housing team
– All those martyred for their faith especially those living under regimes aggressively hostile to the Christian Faith.
Gregory the Great, Bishop of Rome, Teacher of the Faith, 604
– Stanhope St Thomas, Frosterley and Rookhope: (Upper Weardale Benefice) Priest in Charge: The Revd Claire McClelland, Readers: Mr Greg Round and Mrs Heather Ross
– Stanhope Barrington CE Primary School, HT: Mr S Myers
– For the work of the RSCM (Royal School of Church Music)
Birinus, Bishop of Dorchester, Apostle of Wessex, 650
– Our Archdeacons, Rick Simpson (Auckland), Bob Cooper (Sunderland), and Libby Wilkinson (Durham)
– Parish Giving Champion: Nathan Bruce, Finance Resources Co-ordinator: Samantha Amsden
– The Homeless and those who work to mitigate homelessness
– Prison Chaplains, Holme House: Revd Kate Brooke, Revd Sue Bell, Durham: Revd Matthew Tetley, Revd Rebecca Amoroso: Frankland (High Security): Revd Andrew West, Low Newton (Women): Revd Sarah Parkinson
– The Farming community in Weardale
Please pray for those to be ordained as Deacon by the Bishop of Durham in Durham
Cathedral on Sunday 27th September:
Hilary Avent to serve in Hetton-Lyons with Eppleton, St Michael and St Nicholas
Philip Carter to serve in Castleside, St John and Benfieldside, St Cuthbert
Tommy Daglish to serve in Stanley and South Moor
(Derwentside East Group Ministry)
John D’Silva to serve in Houghton-le-Spring, St Michael and All Angels
Hannah Richardson to serve in Peterlee, St Cuthbert
Mahalha Wachepa to serve in Durham North (Team Ministry)
Graham Copley to serve in Hunwick and Willington
Elaine Gray to serve in Hebburn, St John with Jarrow Grange, Christ Church
Rosemary Hendry to serve in Crawcrook Church of the Holy Spirit and
Greenside, St John
Wim Kuiper to serve in St Matthew and St Wilfrid, Sunderland
Stephanie Price to serve in Bishop Auckland
Alison Williams to serve in Wheatley Hill, Thornley and Wingate with
Please pray for those to be ordained Priest by the Bishop of Durham:
Sunderland Minster : 25th September at 7pm
Rory Balfour serving in Hillside (Lobley Hill and Marley Hill)
Richard Penman serving in Sunderland, St Mary and St Peter
(The Group Ministry of the Annunciation)
Anthony Smith serving in Spennymoor and Whitworth
(Spennymoor Group Ministry)
Christopher Watson serving in Sunderland Minster
Barnard Castle, St Mary : 26th September at 11am
Daniel Ackerley serving in Stockton-on-Tees, St Peter and Elton, St John
Sarah Cliff serving in Barnard Castle with Whorlton, St Mary
Jane Easterby serving in Norton, St Mary the Virgin and St Michael and All Angels
Durham, St Nicholas : 26th September at 4pm
Claire Elwood serving in Durham, St Nicholas
Elizabeth Hollis serving in Belmont and Pittington
Abigail Hughes serving in Durham, St Giles, Shadforth and Sherburn
From Jarrow Deanery
|Parish||Leadership Team: Priests, Wardens etc||People, places, projects or particular issues, for which we are invited to share in prayer|
|Harton St Peter Benefice||Revd Kate Boardman|
CW: Ethel Ramsey
CW: Jean Stokes
|-For those who have been bereaved over the last months, especially of our care home residents, that they can manage their grief and know love and peace within it.|
-For those whose long-planned weddings, baptisms and other celebrations were cancelled, that they do -still want to keep those connections with the church.
-For the care and connection between neighbours and our community, that it continues as life ‘returns to normal’
-For our resource church plans, even if revised, that they can help support a renewal and revitalisation of our faith communities in the months to come.
|Cleadon Park St Mark and St Cuthbert Benefice||Revd Kate Boardman|
CW: Anne Blair-Vincent
|-For all involved in leadership as we seek to be creative in ministry and worship at this challenging time.|
-For local families who would usually take part in holiday club and for many of whom the lunches provided are very significant.
-For the community and church groups which usually meet in the premises, especially for all who miss the regular contact with others that they provide.
-For our contacts with local schools and our Experience Church Programme as we contemplate how this will look in the coming school year.
-For all who have sought out and engaged with our online worship, that they may experience the love of God and that we can continue to grow together.
-For local businesses as they face an uncertain future.
|Organists, musicians & choirs:|
• for the gift of music, for songs and hymns and anthems and the opportunity to sing together.
• For musicians and choir members and the gifts they bring each week.
|The Boldons Benefice|
East Boldon St George,
West Boldon St Nicholas,
Hedworth St Nicholas
|Revd Paul Barker|
CW: Edna Ford CW: Margaret Rutherford
CW: Brenda Horton
CW: Brian Logan
CW: Marie Atkinson
|For our ‘Messy Church in the Boldons’ community, as they have been taking part in Messy Church at Home during the pandemic.|
For all young people in our neighbourhood coping with difficult times as they received their A level and GCSE results.
For those giving their time to tending to the church grounds and gardens, and to refurbishing the memorial garden at St Nicholas Hedworth.
|All those who volunteer – in churches, for charities, in schools and in pastoral care.|
• For those who reach out to serve the marginalised in our communities
• For those behind the scenes, who neither seek nor want attention
• For opportunities to show God’s love to people in our communities by asking if they have anything they want us to pray for
From the Parish Cycle
Those living in
Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury and Minister for the Civil Service
Pray for our Government
Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania
Anglican Cycle of Prayer
Sunday, 30 August 2020
Pray for the united Church of South India
Dharmaraj Rasalam – Moderator of CSI & Bishop of South Kerala
Monday, 31 August 2020
Kimberley & Kuruman (Southern Africa) Oswald Swartz
Kindu (Congo) Zacharie Masimango Katanda (Primate)
Kinkiizi (Uganda) Dan Zoreka
Tuesday, 1 September 2020
Ondo (Nigeria) The Rt Revd Stephen Oni
Calabar (Nigeria) The Rt Revd Tunde Adeleye
Kinshasa (Congo) The Rt Revd Achille Mutshindu
Wednesday, 2 September 2020
Ontario (Canada) The Rt Revd Michael Oulton
Calcutta (North India) The Rt Revd Probal Kanto Dutta
Thursday, 3 September 2020
Ogbomoso (Nigeria) The Rt Revd Titus Babtunde Olayinka
Caledonia (Canada) The Rt Revd David TJ Lehmann
Calgary (Canada) The Most Revd Gregory Kerr-Wilson
Friday, 4 September 2020
Oregon (The Episcopal Church) The Rt Revd Michael Hanley
California (The Episcopal Church) The Rt Revd Marc Andrus
Saturday, 5 September 2020
Orlu (Nigeria) The Most Revd Bennett Okoro
Cameroon (West Africa) The Rt Revd Dibo Thomas-Babyngton Elango
Kirinyaga (Kenya) The Rt Revd Joseph Kibichwa
Churches Together in South Tyneside
This week’s Prayer Points pdf is available here.