There are many things we can be praying for. The items in this post are drawn from some of the Prayer cycles we are involved with.
Pray for those known who suffer in body, mind, spirit or estate.
The Collect for this week
who sent your Holy Spirit
to be the life and light of your Church:
open our hearts to the riches of your grace,
that we may bring forth the fruit of the Spirit
in love and joy and peace;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever.
From Durham Diocese
10th After Trinity
– Bishop Glynn Webster, Fr Paul Kennedy, Priests and Parishes of the Society of St Willfred and St Hilda.
– Escomb, Etherley St Cuthbert and Witton Park St Paul with Hamsterley St James and Witton le Wear St Philip and St James, Minister: vacant Reader: Mr Derek Jago
– Revd Liz Hollis, Curate: Belmont and Pittington
– Vocations: Those in ministerial training
– Victims of clerical sexual abuse
– Lindisfarne Regional Training Project, Principal: Revd Dr David Bryan, staff and students training for ministry
– Northumberland and Tees Valley Industrial Missions and Chaplains
– Farmers and the Fishing industry ,all who work on land and at sea
– Revd Abbey Hughes, Curate: Durham St Giles, Sherburn & Shadforth
– Durham Diocesan Officers — All who normally work at St Cuthbert House
– Those working to reduce the effects of climate change
Bernard, Abbot of Clairvaux, Teacher of the Faith 1153,
William and Catherine Booth, Founder of the Salvation Army, 1912 and 1890
– Christ the King, Bowburn and St Andrew, Tudhoe Grange PiC: Rev John Livesley, Reader: Mr Stephen Crosby
– Cranmer Hall, Revd Professor David Wilkinson, Principal, St John’s College, Warden: Revd Dr Philip Plyming, Revd Emma Parker, Deputy Warden, Staff and students in training for ministry
– The Homeless and those who work to address homelessness
– Merrington St John the Evangelist, (Spennymoor Group Ministry) : PiC Revd Barbara Hilton
– Revd Dick Penman, Curate: Sunderland St Mary and St Peter (The Group Ministry of the Annunciation)
– Local emergency services; The Ambulance Service and Fire Brigade
– Children’s Ministry Advisor: Sharon Pritchard
– University Chaplains – Revd Anna Brooker, Revd Tim Ferguson, Revd Dr Anthony Bash, Revd Peter Kashouris, Revd Gavin Wort, Revd David Rushton (Durham) Revd Chris Howson (Sunderland)
– For the Police
From Jarrow Deanery
|Parish||Leadership Team: Priests, Wardens etc||People, places, projects or particular issues, for which we are invited to share in prayer|
|Harton St Peter Benefice||Revd Kate Boardman|
CW: Ethel Ramsey
CW: Jean Stokes
|-For those who have been bereaved over the last months, especially of our care home residents, that they can manage their grief and know love and peace within it.|
-For those whose long-planned weddings, baptisms and other celebrations were cancelled, that they do -still want to keep those connections with the church.
-For the care and connection between neighbours and our community, that it continues as life ‘returns to normal’
-For our resource church plans, even if revised, that they can help support a renewal and revitalisation of our faith communities in the months to come.
|Cleadon Park St Mark and St Cuthbert Benefice||Revd Kate Boardman|
CW: Anne Blair-Vincent
|-For all involved in leadership as we seek to be creative in ministry and worship at this challenging time.|
-For local families who would usually take part in holiday club and for many of whom the lunches provided are very significant.
-For the community and church groups which usually meet in the premises, especially for all who miss the regular contact with others that they provide.
-For our contacts with local schools and our Experience Church Programme as we contemplate how this will look in the coming school year.
-For all who have sought out and engaged with our online worship, that they may experience the love of God and that we can continue to grow together.
-For local businesses as they face an uncertain future.
|Organists, musicians & choirs:|
• for the gift of music, for songs and hymns and anthems and the opportunity to sing together.
• For musicians and choir members and the gifts they bring each week.
From the Parish Cycle
Those living in
Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government
Pray for our local community and local government
Aotearoa New Zealand, Australia
Anglican Cycle of Prayer
Sunday, 16 August 2020
Pray for the Scottish Episcopal Church
Mark Strange, Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church & Bishop of Moray, Ross & Caithness
Monday, 17 August 2020
Okigwe (Nigeria) Edward Osuegbu
Okigwe North (Nigeria) Godson Udochukwu Ukanwa
Okigwe South (Nigeria) David Onuoha
Kebbi (Nigeria) Edmund Akanya
Tuesday, 18 August 2020
Okinawa (Japan) David Eisho Uehara
Bukuru (Nigeria) Jwan Zhumbes
Wednesday, 19 August 2020
Oklahoma (The Episcopal Church) Edward Konieczny
Bunbury (Australia) Ian Coutts
Thursday, 20 August 2020
Okrika (Nigeria) Tubokosemie Atere
Bungoma (Kenya) George Mechumo
Friday, 21 August 2020
Oleh (Nigeria) John Usiwoma Aruakpor
Bunyoro-Kitara (Uganda) Samuel Kahuma
Saturday, 22 August 2020
Kentucky (The Episcopal Church) Terry White
Kericho (Kenya) Ernest Kiprotich Ng’eno
Khartoum (Sudan) Ezekiel Kumir Kondo (Primate)
Churches Together in South Tyneside
This week’s Prayer Points pdf is available here.